Monday, March 31, 2014

Chalk One Up

MY STORY

     During a recent stint helping out at a pre-K classroom, I was given the assignment of cleaning the chalkboard erasers.  Now it is has been many, many years since I was in a classroom and I truly thought with all the high tech gadgetry, that chalkboards have become a thing of the past.  This brought me back to childhood memories (ok fears) of being called on to do math problems  on the board and I can still remember the squeaky chalk sound, the eraser dust and making hopscotch boards on the pavement during recess.

     As I started researching chalkboard projects, I had no idea of all the opportunities and materials easily available to use  on some DIY jobs and I am loving this trend.

YOUR TURN

   There are so many ideas out there, here are just some to get you going:

FABRIC:

    In a recent catalog for Nancy's Notions I found chalkboard fabric.  Imagine what cute projects you could make:  table runners, placemats, all sorts of projects for busy little kid hands:



CONTACT PAPER

     One of my go-to sources is Amazon.com.  I have used contact paper on so many projects since the days of covering books and kitchen shelves and they have chalkboard contact paper on their site.  Try covering the top of an old desk or bookcase with this.  Also using as a mural foundation in the kitchen or kid's playroom.  They also had adorable table place  holders  and vintage style chalkboards and Wallies brand decals.  Some really affordable materials:






Paper Goods

     I love perusing my local Paper Source store, as well as their online catalog.  They have designed tons of different items to get the chalkboard trend in gift wrapping, home decor calendars, custom invites:








Arts and Crafts Supplies

     No trip to NYC is the same without a visit to The Inkpad NYC.  On a recent visit, I found really cool craft markers and stickers.  I also picked up a rubber stamp to create my own chalkboard project....more on that later!


   The Container Store also had fun chalkboard labels and markers.  I just had to get these as well as fun new organizational pieces for the studio:


Shawn Mosch, design team coordinator for The Buckle Boutique recently posted a fun project using pretty rhinestones and chalkboard paper from DCWV:

http://thebuckleboutique.wordpress.com/2014/03/28/chalkboard-project/

     Oriental Trading is another fav resource  of mine for affordable supplies.  I picked up some chalkboard table place settings which I will be incorporating into a future project -- think shabby chic wedding or baby shower!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading The Everyday Muse. I appreciate all your comments and feedback!