Sunday, December 22, 2013

DIY Art

MY STORY

     I am always that annoying person gathering up paint swatch cards, Pantone chips and sample bottles of wall paint.  Since I was a kid, I have this need to continually switch up the wall colors in my house, add different artwork which can get kind of expensive.

     I have come up with some easy ways to create simple artwork out of washi tape, fabric scraps and antique scarves.  Here are some ideas.  Show me what you come up with.

YOUR TURN

     The supplies you need are inexpensive and easy to find:

  • Blank canvas; foamboard; styrofoam shapes;old frames
  • Washi tape; fabric scraps; paper; old clothes.  Any items that you want to use works well
  • Scissors; fabric glue; T pins; 
  • Mounting tape (this works great for these lightweight items and anything that doesn't require a hammer and nails I'm happy with).
ANTIQUE FABRICS:

     I inherited a lot of scarves from my Grandmother.  In every photo and in many memories I remember these little squares of fabric.  These are not items I want to cut up or manipulate and I found that just putting them in frames gave them the respect these memories deserve.



HOLIDAY IDEA

     After all my wrapping was done, I found I had a lot of washi tape left over.  I simply took some of my favorites and wrapped around a lightweight piece of styrofoam.  I like using an odd number of colors/images.  Randomly tape around and you can use with T pins to hang your holiday cards on, or cover with a coat of Mod Podge for extra durability and place on your table.  






MEMORIES 

    A good friend of mine had been saving a lot of her father's old shirts; pants; ties to make a baby quilt for her little boy.  Unfortunately, Hurricane Sandy hit us pretty hard and she lost almost everything.  She had very few scraps to work with.  We came up with the idea to use these little bits wrapped on small canvas and put on little easel stands.  Her baby's bedroom was a nautical theme, so the blues worked out well.  Although it was not the quilt she had imagined, just this little display keeps her intention alive of having some of Dad's clothing around for her son.




FABRIC

     Couple of projects I have been working on is to create easy and inexpensive art for friends.  Using foamboard, canvas and/or styrofoam I go through my fabric stash and have been able to do some fun artwork for them.  The first example is actually for my studio.  I wanted a Bonnie Cashin/fashion illustration/Parisian feel to the work.  When you decide the background piece you are using, lay your fabric out, place the canvas as top to insure you capture the image you want and cut out, leaving an inch around for wrapping the canvas.  For this illustration I used a dark pen, but use a pencil or disappearing marker for best results. Then wrap around the foamboard, adhering with some glue.





     For my friend's newborn twins, a boy and a girl, I was excited to find this Debbie Mumm fabric.  Same Noah's Ark theme, but in two different colorways.  HINT:  If you are deciding to use canvas as your backing, many of them come individually wrapped in plastic.  Keep the plastic on.  If you change this art later, it is easier to remove and you have preserved the integrity of the canvas.


     You can also layer fabrics - this is for a little girl who was growing out her baby room and my friend wanted modern, but still girly art.  This fabric came with a natural frame around it, so I thought it was a great one to use, backed by a complementary fabric on canvas.



     So if you are addicted to changing up your home decor like I am, these easy and inexpensive projects will soothe your guilty conscience next time you are switching things up.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading The Everyday Muse. I appreciate all your comments and feedback!