Friday, June 9, 2017

Playing with Gelli Pt 2

MY STORY

     I have become just a tad addicted to gelatin mono printing with products from Gel Press I discovered on Facebook.  This posting includes some additional techniques and the results are fun, easy to adapt and experiment with.  Check out their product and tutorials on their website CLICK HERE

YOUR TURN

     I have used various paints and papers to achieve different effects.  With just a small amount of paint and inexpensive papers you can create unique prints that can be used on various projects -- journaling, cards, decor.  See the previous post at The Everyday Muse for more ideas.

Utilizing other paper:  Stampington & Company publish numerous national magazines in the craft area.  Many of their magazines include free artist paper.  I tried using of these papers and add printing on top of it.  I actually used way too much paint on this example and covered the paper so the original was gone.  But I still liked the outcome.

Red & gun metal acrylics, rubber stamp for texture, brayer for spreading paint

You can lift off excess paint with deli paper.






Metallic Reactive Paints:  I love the metallic reactive paints from Ten Second Studios.  When the special spray is added to the wet paint, you can create interesting patina finishes based on the colors you use.  

More can be found on the Ten Seconds Studio website:  Click Here

This example uses the copper and iron base paints

Pull a texturizing tool through the wet paint

The tool creates some interesting textures

With first coat

With sea sponge, apply second coat of paint where desired. Immediately spray with patina finish

Shiny!!!
Stencils:  In my earlier post I showed how you can use stencils to create positive/negative effects.  These would be great in facing journal pages, etc., as the prints complement each other.

Used black, light blue and white to create a wintry night sky

Position stencil as desired

Pull your first print

Remove stencil

Pull another print creating what is called a ghost print


First pull using metallic reactive paint


Remove stencil, pull a ghost print



Adding patina spray
I'm not much of a freehand sketcher so I tried laying a stencil underneath the gelli plate and brush on paint instead of spreading with a brayer.  I'm not completely overjoyed but I think it would be better with a simpler stencil.  But this piece can still be used in a project:





Paper Mache: Using a large letter as my paint surface I love these results.  I added a coordinating canvas as a backing to add some interest.

White, light blue, burnt umber acrylics



Add rubber stamp for texture


missed a spot, but there's plenty of paint left on the plate


A ghost print once you remove the letter.  Not perfect but love the colors and how rich the stamped texture came out

Reload with the same paint and a different stamp for texture


coated canvas




















More Ghost Prints:
First pull using black, light blue and white + texture tool


Second Pull

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading The Everyday Muse. I appreciate all your comments and feedback!