Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Do It Yourself Letter Photography

MY STORY

     It's another challenge at Decorate To Celebrate!  Make sure you check out their blog for great ideas for your next party / gift giving occasion.  DTC Blog

     I have been seeing many catalogs, Pinterest posts on words make out of letter photography.  I always thought these were so cool .  In terms of photos, I have tons so I thought I would give it a shot and create my own on my computer.



     In addition to your photos, all you need is some free software like Picasa and I used Publisher to lay them all out.  No Photoshop used.  I still love neon letters and marquee letters and I remembered I had some cool shots from our visit to downtown Fremont Street and The Neon Museum in Las Vegas.  And I thought with some altering, that these would be a fun way to replicate the look.  On your next visit to Vegas, check out the Neon Museum -- they offer great tours of the history behind various hotel and shop neon signs and it was a lot of fun!  www.neonmuseum.org


YOUR TURN

    I went through the photos from our visit and created a folder of various photos that had letters.

    Then I started going through and cropping out needed letters.  Make sure you do "save as" so you can maintain the integrity of your original photo.  For this project I wanted to form the word "love" and this technique can be used for any word / occasion you have in mind.  Look through all your photos carefully and you will be surprised at how many words you may be able to create.





   Once I felt I had the letters I needed, I dropped them into the Microsoft Publisher program.  I am self taught on this so I am sure there may be more ways to work with it, but it is fun to play around with.


    Work with your letters on positioning and sizing and layout -- I tried my best to keep the letters a similar size so this takes some going back and forth on.

    Once I liked my selection and layout I saved it.  I then went back into my cropped photos and saved these same letters but as black and white versions.  The original color lettering looked really cool, but I was aiming for the black and white style like I had seen in a catalog.



   Since you are happy with the sizing and the layout, just recreate the same file with the black and white version.  Save as a jpeg and that's it.  This would make a great engagement present, wedding gift, use on invitations, etc.  Once you have the layout you can print it out in any format.

   To personalize the print within Publisher, just add a text box and write in the wording you want.

    And that is it, takes a little time but it becomes addictive after a while.  Happy crafting!!!





3 comments :

Thank you for reading The Everyday Muse. I appreciate all your comments and feedback!