Friday, November 28, 2014

Handmade Stationery Gifts

MY STORY

     Earlier in the year, I attended a great workshop at The Paper Source where I learned techniques to tie-dye paper and make unique gifts.  At the time, I thought "hey, this is great for my holiday gift giving."  It seemed so far away, but here I am, the day after Thanksgiving and I did it.  Actually completed something on my holiday to-do list and I'm loving this idea.  Follow the steps to create your own way to customize some holiday gifts.

YOUR TURN

     Most of  the materials are from my local Paper Source store.  You will need:

  • Gampi paper -- the perfect paper for this project as it holds up to water and is easy to use for tie-dye projects
  • Pigment ink pads -- Early in my holiday crafting process I decided my colors this year would concentrate on black, red, silver, gray so I chose my ink pads based on that.  But you can use any two - three colors that you think will work well together
  • Disposable gloves -- trust me on this
  • Spray bottle with water
  • Plain card stock / blank cards
  • Rubber bands
  • Ribbon

     Start by gathering some edges of your fabric, twist and secure with a rubber band.  If you have ever gone to summer camp or Woodstock, it is the same tie-dye process you used for tee shirts.  Do this two or three times and you are left with an alien crab-like figure.


     Press these twists, and various spots on the paper into your first color.  Going light first, then darker has worked better for me.


    Spritz with water -- don't drench.  I found it easiest leaning over a garbage can.

    Taking the damp paper, press into your second color.


     Spritz again, then gently remove the rubber bands. 

 The paper is sturdy but if you pull too hard it could rip.  And now your paper is complete!  I like to do four - five pieces of the Gampi at one time.  Let dry.  The color will soften as the paper dries and it only takes a couple of hours.


    
Why you need the disposable gloves!

     Now onto your card making.  These tie-dye papers go a LONG way.  Save all your scraps as some of the my card designs require less paper than others.  HINT:  Keep a baggie nearby and toss the cut off scraps into them.  Trust me, you will use up a lot of them.

CARD 1:  The all over print

     Simply take your card blank and lay over the part of your paper that you want to use.  Glue onto front and that's it for card 1.  HINT:  After the glue has dried, turn your card over and trim that way.  It is much easier to see where you need to cut as opposed to guessing from the front side of the card.


CARD 2:  Stripes

    Using some of your scraps, place your handmade paper down the middle and add colored card stock on each side.



CARD 3:  Geometric

    Create graduated squares on your card front.  HINT:  when you lay your first colored card stock down, draw a line with glue where you want it placed.  Continue making smaller and smaller squares, again trim from the back.  Done!





CARD 4:  Layers

   After covering the front of your card, create different layers of "frames" and you are done.  




     Depending on the colors you use, the opportunities to use this paper are endless.  In addition to the holidays, choose blue or pink colors and use for baby shower invitations.  Or gold and black for wedding place card holders.  You are only limited by your imagination.  Here is an example using blues:


     For gift giving, I like to make sets of at least 4 cards and finish off with a pretty ribbon.  These sets are great to give -- you can use them as last minute birthday cards or just "was thinking of you and wanted to send you a note.  You will get addicted to making this paper and how many different ways to use it!



     Happy crafting!!! xo


   

1 comment :

  1. Oh Patti what a great way to package and give a set of cards for any occasion. Love the idea.
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading The Everyday Muse. I appreciate all your comments and feedback!